Body image: It's an everyone issue.

The Body Banter team believes that everyone plays a role in the body image movement.

For too long, how our bodies look and how we feel about our bodies has been dictated by the media and society at large, and it is time to reclaim our rights: to define what beauty means, to feel comfortable in our own skins, to explore how we can treat our own and others’ bodies with respect and dignity.

Through encouraging dialogue between diverse individuals worldwide, promoting exposure to new perspectives, and empowering students with opportunities to lead the charge in redefining body image, Body Banter aims to challenge young people to think critically about what body image means, but more importantly, what it can mean.

What is body image? You tell us.

Steph+1.jpeg

About Body Banter

Founded in 2017 by Steph Ng, Body Banter is a project that aims to empower high-school and college-age students to be body image advocates: to encourage them to actively engage in discussions about body image issues, to access and contribute to body positivity resources and to implement concrete action plans to create a more body positive environment in the world around them.

During her recovery from an eating disorder, Steph realized that despite the rising number of individuals struggling with body image issues and eating disorders, discussions of body image issues were few and far between and misinformed understandings of these issues were everywhere.

Body Banter is a culmination of the resources that Steph wishes that she could have had during her formative teenage years: A space to share stories, to access diverse opinions and to connect with like-minded others.

Our initiatives

  1. The online platform: Bodybanter.com features "Share", a rolling blog that welcomes submissions from everyone about their take on what body image means to them and "Grow", a collection of columns written by individuals who have unique perspectives on the issue of body image.

  2. Banter-bassador program: With 3 active chapters in the US and 1 active chapter in Hong Kong, the Banter-bassador program aims to recruit high-school and college-age students to become leaders for Body Banter groups at their schools. Following a regularly updated online curriculum, Banter-bassadors lead weekly discussions on topics related to body image and work with club members to develop action plans to raise awareness about body image issues in the school community (e.g. Organize campaigns and exhibitions).

Get involved

We are currently looking for passionate high school and college-age students to help us manage our online platform and/or develop our Banter-bassador program. If you are even remotely interested in getting involved, please fill out the form below and we will send you more details! :)

Name *
Name
What Body Banter initiative are you interested in? *